Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Heart blouse




First off, I just want to rant a little about the effort it took to take these pictures.  I live about 2 miles from the town library, and there's a cute little park next to the library that I thought would be perfect for taking pictures in.  Today seemed like the perfect day for a bike ride.  Last week my bike broke (that is a whole other story) so I took my mother's bike, which she told me to do.  I decided to do the whole bike borrowing thing the right way, and took a good ten minutes to adjust the seat so that I could ride comfortably.  I used a wrench and everything.  So, I get all ready to go, and then the garage door won't close.  Finally after a lot of button pushing it closed.  Great.  Time to leave.  I get to the end of the driveway and notice that the tires are a little low.  Oh well, I can just fill them up when I get home.  End of the block: the brakes don't work.  At all.  One block later: the chain snaps in half.  Well, hey, I guess I'm driving after all.  Sigh.  I was so looking forward to riding, too.

Alright, back to the shirt.  I made this last week with fabric that I got at a thrift store for $1.50.  I rubbed the pattern off of an old blouse of my mother's.  The collar and button placket were cut out of the back of an old dress shirt of my brother's, and the buttons were from there also.  


For once in my life, there are no raw edges in this.  I used french seams for the side seams, and the button placet and collar have all the edges sewn neatly inside.  This is one of the few things that I've sewn that I wouldn't be ashamed to show someone the inside of.  


I saved this pattern, and think that I'll probably be reusing this a lot in the future.  I will probably adjust the arm scythe a little, but other than that I think it fits pretty well!


2 comments:

  1. this is adorable! I love the idea to take the collar and placket from a shirt, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete